The Key Stage 3 curriculum at Bacon’s College is based on the following principles which ensure that we
- Provide a high quality subject curriculum that defines yearly essential subject knowledge and skills.
- Promote day by day mastery teaching so that all pupils are can attain age related expectations.
- Embed good assessment by being precise about what pupils can and cannot do and acting on evidence.
- Achieve high standards of pupil attainment for all and reduce the tail of low attainment.
- Reduce significant ‘late stage’ intervention because prior learning is secure and retained earlier.
- Provide a basis for collaboration and sharing of highly effective practice to raise pupil standards.
- Prepare a strong foundation for success at Key Stage 4 in the subject GCSE and/or programmes of study.
All students will access a core curriculum of the following subjects:
- Religious Education
- Modern Foreign Languages
In Year 7 and Year 8, students access Computing, Product Design, Textiles and Food on a carousel basis.
In Year 9 students have the opportunity to select mini-options instead which allow them to focus on two subjects from the following: Computing, Art, Drama, Music, Product Design, Textiles and Food. Students are not restricted to these choices beyond Year 9 and have the flexibility to choose other subjects for their GCSEs – the intention, however, is that students pick subjects that they enjoy and demonstrate aptitude in so that they develop a solid platform ahead of beginning their GCSE studies.