Bacon's College History

Bacon’s College is an academy sponsored by the Church of England with a proud history of educating the young people of Bermondsey for over 300 years. 

‘Bacon’s School’ started out above the porch of the church of St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey, in 1703. Wealthy leather merchant, Josiah Bacon, left a large sum of money in his will to build a free school for poor boys in his home town to ‘teach spelling, arithmetic & merchant’s accomplishments’.  

A new era

The school was relocated to nearby Grange Road in 1860 and was subsequently relocated again in 1962 to Pages Walk as a mixed secondary modern school. As part of the development of Docklands area of Rotherhithe, Bacon’s College opened on the current site in 1991 as a City Technical College.

It converted to academy status in September 2007 and opened as a new school as part of United Learning on 1st March 2018.


Part of United Learning. United Learning comprises: UCST (Registered in England No: 2780748. Charity No. 1016538) and ULT (Registered in England No. 4439859. An Exempt Charity). Companies limited by guarantee. VAT number 834 8515 12.
Registered address: United Learning, Worldwide House, Thorpe Wood, Peterborough, PE3 6SB. Tel: 01832 864 444

Financial Accountability and Freedom of Information
Website Terms, Cookies and Privacy